03-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #30
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
I'm not sure how much time you have spent driving the Golf R, but I've put 50,000km on our 2016 Mk7 on stock 19" wheels and Contisport 5 tyres and 22,000km on our 2017 M240i with stock 18" wheels and Michelin PSS tyres. The M240i has much better steering precision and equivalent feel and weight, the R is more vague at the limit but still better than other cars I've driven with electric steering assist. The way I find to drive the BMW is with the smaller muscles in the wrist by pushing up on the steering wheel than pulling down, then I get plenty of feedback.

The harder you push the M240i, the better the steering gets if you hold the wheel lightly, the harder you push the R, the more the understeer mutes the steering feedback, although it does come into it's element on a wet track when traction limits are lower and adjustment of the Haldex via VCDS to "increased traction" has been done.
Wow! That's the most intelligent post I've read on this forum regarding steering feel.

Most posts on the subject don't distinguish between the feedback at small steering angles and low g (self-centering and the sensation through the wheel of minor road irregularities pulling the car to the side a bit) and feedback at high g near the traction limit that tells you through the wheel how much the front wheels are sliding.

I suspect that the posters who claim the steering of the 2 is numb are talking about low g feedback, and I agree with that. They seem to miss the feedback at high g, possibly possibly because they don't actually drive it to the traction limit, or if they do they are hanging on to the wheel so tightly they can't feel the feedback.