View Single Post
      10-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

I am going through this exact situation. I am recently divorced and lost access to the practical car (an X5 50i with DHP) and the even more fun car (718s Boxster). My car is a 2017 240i convertible with the M Performance LSD.

I've driven the X3M, the X3 M40i, the X3 30e, and the Macan S. Reaching for the Macan means ditching the 2 for sure. The 30e might allow keeping both, but I don't relish dealing with and insuring two cars.

The Macan S has beautiful fit and finish, and I really like the look. The size and capacity are just fine for my needs (hauling around a teen and two large dogs.)

Performance was fine.

BUT, there's just no getting over that it's an SUV. And they are simply not as much fun to drive as smaller, nimbler, RWD cars like the 2.

Possibly, I would have been more enamored with it if it had had PTV and PASM. My test car did not. I doubt it, though.

I think the sad reality is you just can't expect the fun car and the practical car to coexist in one unit. And so I'm back to thinking about the two-car cheaper solution.

Next on my agenda is driving the Mazda CX5. That scenario does allow me to keep my 2 and possibly replace it eventually with something even more fun. (New M4 convertible with softop? 6-cylinder 718s?)

A couple of other suggestions of vehicles to test drive:

When BMW gets the kinks out of the plug-in X3 (there is now a battery recall that has no fix), it's a very solid option. It was fun to drive (more so than the Macan, really), and I love the idea of being able to do small errand trips solely on battery power, yet have the ICE for longer vacation hauls. There is currently a great tax incentive on them ($5,600 or so).

The X3M did absolutely nothing for me. Why bother? Buy a real M thing. The X3 M40i is excellent all-arounder, but it gets pretty pricey. For some reason, I just can't get excited about it being my only car.

The last suggestion, if you can tolerate the shoddy assembly and giving up on the ease and convenience of ICEs is the Tesla Model Y. It is very Macan like in size and practicality, and it is FUN to drive. Driving it will haunt you. It is so different. But, it feels sporty, composed, and very Germanic in its handling. The ready power is intoxicating. And you don't need the performance model to access all of that. It is much cheaper than the Macan.

Oh, another, last suggestion, which I've been toying with: Wait for the next M3 in AWD. Skip the carbon roof and get roof rails and a rooftop box. Possibly an aftermarket hitch as well.

Edit: Just saw about towing. The Porsche has the best towing specs. The Y has a hitch option, and the X3 models as well.)
'22 M440xi GC (BSM/Tacora) Previous: 2017 M240i Convertible; 2016 X5 50i; 2017 Boxster 718s; 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.

Last edited by wdc330i; 10-18-2020 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0