View Single Post
      06-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #13
PiddlyD
Rep
Drives: BMW F23 M235iC, BMW F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I'm a long-term track rat, and I'm wondering why a 130-MPH speed limit is an issue for how you're using your car.

I can see it if you're going to be running hard on a track where that limit prevents you from achieving your goals. Otherwise, does it really matter.

Mind you, I've enjoyed a surfeit of triple-digit stops by the speed enforcement brigade, and I tend not to recommend those encounters...to anyone. If only they'd be reasonably polite after pulling me over; however, apparently, that isn't a part of their training.
So, I'm aware of speed ratings (and the Pirelli run flats are actually speed rated above the factory 130 limit, but regardless...)

I think I said I plan on replacing the tires with speed rated summer tires. I don't remember - but I do plan on finding a pair of 8.5" rears and putting 225 front and 245 rear rubber on them.

I've also experienced triple-digit stops by highway patrols. I did get let off with just a warning by a very friendly guy who noted when I was maneuvering through traffic at around 85mph, I did signal every lane change. My recommendation, handle any high speed stop like a felony stop. Throw your keys out the window and keep your hands out the window until the cop tells you to put them on the steering wheel.

It *does* matter to me that I should be able to decide the prudent top speed for my abilities, vehicle, and equipment - not engineers in Germany who made the arbitrary decision that the factory tire option should forever limit the car to a top speed they feel is suitable for those tires. I doubt I'll ever hit that limit - but if I decide I want to, I think I should be the one making that decision, not my ECU.

Fair enough?

I live in the west, and I do a lot of driving along desolate, empty stretches of long highway - although most of my high speed stops have been on Highway 50 in Sacramento between Folsom and Downtown Sacramento.

I mean, if you were buying a 235i, and there were two that were identical - but one had been purchased with all-seasons and had a 130 top end limiter, and the other had been bought with staggered summer tires with a 160 top end limiter...

Which would you buy?

Rhetorical question.
Appreciate 0