Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
For long time ownership I don't think JD initial quality means much. Case in point the Volvo 850 my dad bought had some initial warranty failures but 23 years later my wife was given the car and does not want to give it up, it's so roomy and comfortable. It is very reliable now and zero leaks. The valve cover uses a special sealant and they never leak. It has amazing rust resistance, even the brake lines are copper nickel, which I've never seen on a Japanese car. I had my Integra blow a brake line on the highway, and my Prelude and Accord developed rust.
Older Volvos were built to run for hundreds of thousands of miles. Taken care of properly, they'd run indefinitely. It burned me up when the wife decided to let her 1998 manual V70 T5 go with only 243,000 miles on it.

By the time we bought a 2006 manual V70R, it had become clear that overall Volvo quality had slipped badly. There was a list of $2K repairs I kept reading about in the main forum for the car; some owners had every problem, with some of them occurring multiple times, and others had none of the problems. I decided to get rid of it with 24,000 miles on the clock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
For long time ownership I don't think JD initial quality means much. Case in point the Volvo 850 my dad bought had some initial warranty failures but 23 years later my wife was given the car and does not want to give it up, it's so roomy and comfortable. It is very reliable now and zero leaks. The valve cover uses a special sealant and they never leak. It has amazing rust resistance, even the brake lines are copper nickel, which I've never seen on a Japanese car. I had my Integra blow a brake line on the highway, and my Prelude and Accord developed rust.
Older Volvos were built to run for hundreds of thousands of miles. Taken care of properly, they'd run indefinitely. It burned me up when the wife decided to let her 1998 manual V70 T5 go with only 243,000 miles on it.

By the time we bought a 2006 manual V70R, it had become clear that overall Volvo quality had slipped badly. There was a list of $2K repairs I kept reading about in the main forum for the car; some owners had every problem, with some of them occurring multiple times, and others had none of the problems. I decided to get rid of it with 24,000 miles on the clock.
V70 are nice especially manuals. I had an S70 T5, it was a great car and very fast. I only sold
It because I fell in love with the BMW steering feel. So far the corrosion protection on the body and exhaust are as good as the Volvo, it's just little things on my BMW that I've never had to touch on my Volvo: starter, gaskets, window regulator, cooling hoses. But the engine, trans and body are good so it's clear to me BMW business model is to have small components fail after warrantee to generate service/parts business.
Appreciate 0