Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
well sorry to hear that but that's the risk we all take with cars out of warranty.

what year and model is your e90? stick?
2009, auto.

That's he risk we all take with cars out of warranty that are German, with BMW being the worst offender of German brands.

With my Lexus DD there's very little risk out of warranty. She's a 2012 with 55k miles and I've never spent a penny on unscheduled maintenance.

My point is that while BMWs have a lot of redeeming qualities making them superior to other cars, reliability is not one of them.
It's funny as i still would trust a Honda or toyota over a German car, but my experience doesn't support that rationale. I think I was just scarred from the 90s when Japanese cars were miles more reliable than anything else. But more recently, going back 15 years that hasn't been my experience.

My Lexus RX 330 that I owned a few years back was great except the transmission was slipping like crazy as we hit 70k miles. Especially when cold. Finally got rid of it at 90k miles. That's too big of an item to overlook. My dad has a newer one with less miles and so far so good.

Subarus have been terrible. Leaking oil all over just as they get to 90k miles. A turbo 2.5 we had constantly needed a flush and that had less than 50k miles.

My Infinitis were better than average but I wouldn't say great (but I forgive them because I loved the original G35 6MT coupe I had - haha).

Owned a couple of old Hondas that were great (150k+ miles) but the new one has major electronics issues with radio/video functionality. Honda transmissions and brakes are also notoriously bad. Friend had to get rid of his newer MDX when the transmission blew at 90k miles (car was only 5 or 6 years old).

I definitely think the same old formulas don't work today as they did many years ago. At least for Japanese vs my BMW experience. I still wouldn't buy an American car for long term ownership.
Appreciate 0