05-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #28
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenfire
Can I get a picture of where your cars are saying 4G? I don't have an active subscription to BMW online services (in Canada it's not included - only basic roadside SOS is included) so I'm not sure. I think I have the 3G Nav because I didn't get the 2015-2 Nav update automatically and had to update it manually and enter in my own FSC code. Also from talking to a fellow forum member with a 2015 cab and NBT-EVO who says his climate control temp display switches to white in daylight and mine doesn't do that (it stays orange).
Early Febuary 2015 build here - and I only have 3G. Looks like the switchover happened with early March builds.

This mid-year NBT-EVO HU switchover upsets me greatly - even more so than the single/dual aux-radiator issue for 228i M Sport models I investigated weeks ago. At least that was tied to a model-year equipment change. This one is not, and it effectively makes '2015.0' cars significantly less valuable and functional than '2015.5' cars though there's no price change and no public acknowledgment by BMW that cars other than the 2-series 'verts are getting the new HU now.

Plainly it's one thing to include upgrades for a new model year, when prices are adjusted and consumers are generally made aware of major improvements. To me, small mid-year upgrades like the aluminum trim on the center A/C vent are fine, too - or the HVAC orange-to-white night-to-day shift - since these are minor cosmetic refinements.

But adding the EVO HU unannounced to non-'vert F22s since March is patently unfair to those of us with 2015s built before then. Not only does 4G/LTE greatly improve data speeds for things like Navigation, ConnectedDrive, and RTTI, but Navigation updates are done automatically and for free - meanwhile, those of us with 3G have to pay something like $150 a year for the same updates. Not cool, BMW. Not cool at all.

According to the OP's link, this switchover was announced by BMW in October 2014, and I'm guessing some subsequent announcement indicated that the 2-series 'verts were to get the EVO units first. That BMW decided to start putting them in non-'verts at roughly the same time just doesn't sit well. It would have been fine to wait for MY 16 to do it - and if I were aware this and the other improvements were coming a month after my car was built, I'd have damn well waited a month to order my car.
Appreciate 0