View Single Post
      03-13-2023, 02:06 PM   #9
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
On a new car why would you use anything like that??

Just keep the interior dusted with a good microfiber (like the rag co's creature) and, only when necessary, use warm de-ionized water. You'll never need more than this unless you're doing some really stupid shit inside of your car.

As for the leather, you can do that same thing. Modern auto leather doesn't need "conditioning" or "nourishing" or massaging or nuzzling. That was the 70s. *ALL* auto leather is coated. Yes, ALL of it. yes EVEN MERINO LEATHER Uncoated leather wouldn't last 2 months.

With that, if you have white leather (and/or if you sweat a lot on it), it's a good idea to use a leather shield to prevent dye transfer & abrasion damage.

If you want to stay German, use Colourlock mild cleaner & then leather shield.
I'd say quick interior detailers have their place. Can be very helpful in removing tougher fingermarks, light dirt and should leave a light UV resistance behind. Protection against UV is important, be it either plastic or leather. But, it should be gentle enough not to cause any discoloration. I prefer Meguiars D149.

All modern leather is coated, but that doesn't mean leather wont benefit from conditioning if it needs it. Those coats are semi permeable and will wear down with use. After couple of years of use, the coating is more worn and balance from leather tanning process starts to degrade. This is where leather can respond well to good and balanced conditioning. Conditioning on the other hand needs to be subtle and should not be saturated with creams and milks and what not else crap is out there. It will cause more harm than good if overdone.

I really love Colourlock products and use them for pretty much all things leather.
Appreciate 0