este
N54 to N55
Rep
Drives: e92 335i (sold) / M235i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGold1211 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by este View Post
How did you go about diagnosing the ignition coil down to #2? logs and looking at timing? if so what should I be looking for exactly?
So based on the recommendations of another forum member I took another look at my plugs and coils. Plugs looked good as new with about 7k miles on them and the gap was unchanged. I had the intention of replacing all my coils and purchased a set. However, I noticed that as I was pulling them, the cyclinder #2 coil had some brown discoloration and a bit of a burnt smell inside. All the other coils looked essentially new. I figured I'd start with that one and see what happens. After I replaced just that one it seemed like all my issues went away. It's only been about 350 miles thus far, but all seems well. My timing now across all cylinders seems uniform. I am in by no means a log expert other than trying to point out inconsistencies and look at trends. However, the people at BM3 and many of the members on the BM3 facebook group are helpful. What I noticed before replacing the coil is some variations in ignition timing and corrections. Now all seems uniform. Coincidence or not I dunno... but that one coil seemed suspect and now all seems well after replacement.
Ok gotcha! Makes sense. I will start with a visual inspection then and go from there.
Appreciate 0