View Single Post
      03-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #19
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfer View Post
What are your thoughts going from the Golf R to the BMW? Performance and interior wise? I wish the M240i was a bit lighter. Kinda surprising a Golf with an all wheel drive system and 4 doors is lighter.
Performance wise, one thing I notice immediately is that it feels a lot faster, the Golf would have a bit of lag to get going that the M240i doesn't have. The Golf remember has two less cylinders so it saves a bit of weight compared to the i6 in the BMW. The Golf had a bit better steering feel and more adjustments available to play with the steering and chassis firmness individually and drivetrain. The BMW you can only, from what i can tell, change the chassis and steering together and the drivetrain. As far as ride quality is concerned I much prefer the BMW. The Golf rode on 19s which was way too much wheel for the tires on that car and you felt it, even in comfort settings. The BMW with 18s is much more pleasant for everyday driving especially for the warzone like roads we have in NY.

The Golf had a very nice interior for a VW, but its night and day compared to the BMW. The leather is softer and nicer, the steering wheel is chunkier and better leather quality. The Golf also had piano black and plastic trim everywhere, the aluminum on the BMW and more conservative use of gloss black trim pieces looks much nicer.

I originally went to the Golf from my F30 trying to find the feel I loved from my E90, and passed on the M235i at the time as it felt too much like the car I was coming out of aesthetically. I'm happy to have had the golf but after 3 winters in NY I am not that sad to see it and its 19 inch wheels go.