04-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #121
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaphile View Post
I have assembled my amp and DSP gear and ready to have it installed.

I have the base M235i stereo and have 4 inch Focal Pc 100's in the doors.

Installing Mosconi DSP and 6 x 100 watts for each of Front L,R Rear L R, and each of the stock subs under seats. Have the harness from Technic.

I hear the stock subs are more mid bass than subs and the lower range of the Focals is about 120 Hz.

Should the sub crossover at 120Hz? and at 12 db per octave?

Thanks
You're likely going to need to play around with the crossover point. I just checked out the frequency response curve for the PC 100; it doesn't reach full tonal output until about 180Hz, and there's about an 8db difference in tone output between that and 100Hz, which represents roughly 7/8 of an octave.

Since the frequency curve of the stock sub is unknown, I would recommend starting with the crossover at about 160Hz and fine-tune from there; The Focals' low-frequency volume appears to roll off by about half between 140 and 180Hz. I would also play with gain settings so you don't overload the subs; we also don't know what their power-handling capabilities are, but they're probably not much.
Appreciate 0