Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iv-128i View Post
That's pretty cool ! I always find that I loose some low band power on very hot days with BMS intake !!
Yep, the huge downside to open element intakes and largely why engineers keep the filters sealed from the engine bay and funnel air from outside the engine bay.

There's not much shielding you can do from hot under hood air because, ya know, it's air so it's everywhere. Heat shields are only good and shielding from direct radiant heat, say a turbo. If you were in a 120 degree enclosed room with an 8 foot ceiling and you built a partition wall 7 feet tall to surrounding yourself, that air around you is still 120 degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iv-128i View Post
That's pretty cool ! I always find that I loose some low band power on very hot days with BMS intake !!
Yep, the huge downside to open element intakes and largely why engineers keep the filters sealed from the engine bay and funnel air from outside the engine bay.

There's not much shielding you can do from hot under hood air because, ya know, it's air so it's everywhere. Heat shields are only good and shielding from direct radiant heat, say a turbo. If you were in a 120 degree enclosed room with an 8 foot ceiling and you built a partition wall 7 feet tall to surrounding yourself, that air around you is still 120 degrees.
I think I see where you are going with this
Attached Images