09-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017M240i View Post
The part that is relevant to all members, is that they are claiming that BMW policy is to void warranty of all related components for any modifications, despite Moss act.

There is no way these speakers could do any damage to the amp and there is no way these speakers could cause a short in a wire someplace in the line. In fact, at the moment everything is working correctly, as the problem is intermittent. There is not way they could prove the speakers caused any damage. But they aren't even getting that far. They are refusing to do more than 30 minutes "complimentary diagnosis" without permission from BMW engineering.

Thanks for the advice on contacting the FTC. The attorney general in Texas is unlikely to do much to protect consumers, but I'll look there too.

These are just speakers, made to work with the factory amp, and the speakers could not be the cause of the problem. It's extreme for BMW to be taking this position knowing they are in violation of the Moss act.
What your BMW dealer is doing is violating the Moss-Edmundson Act on several levels. One of them: To prove that the aftermarket speakers are the cause of the issue, those speakers need to be installed in the car. By making you re-install the OEM speakers, you've effectively removed the basis of its claim of noncoverage.

But that's neither here nor there, really. I have a feeling that your dealer simply wants to avoid a semi-expensive warranty claim (re-wiring) and is feeding you a bunch of imposing BS to achieve that. My advice? Go to another dealer.

As another poster mentioned: Speakers cannot damage components connected to them; only those components can damage the speakers. An analog audio stream is one-way only, and speakers are completely passive components. Short (pun partially intended) of physically damaging the wiring during speaker installation, they cannot possibly, under current laws of physics, damage anything connected to them except one way: they operate at such a low ohm rating that the amplifier can't handle the electrical load and overheats. I seriously, seriously doubt the speakers you installed are creating that kind of issue.

Advantage BMW has a questionable rep. I'd try either Momentum (also a questionable rep, but mainly regarding sales tactics) or BMW of Houston North (a relatively new dealer that might be more willing to work with you).

Last edited by Viffermike; 09-27-2018 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0