05-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #18
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3cmm View Post
Just OTS

I hear and appreciate what you are saying and it might be OK if you are going in a straight line, but not OK for me on the track. I'm not so worried about the HP, but the engine / throttle response was way off. There were fluctuations in power delivery that un-balanced the car and I don't want to be faced with having to shift in the middle of a turn because I artificially ran out of revs. (Like in the outer loop at Watkins Glen if I need to go through the bus stop in 3rd) . I also don't want to have to hold at 5.5-6K RPMs until I complete my exit because the symptoms start to appear. Granted I did need to change my shifting patterns, but I would have had to go into 6th in some spots. The range of available revs between gear shifts would be way too narrow.

Anyway, the re-flash got rid of the nastiness. Just not sure how it could have happened to begin with and wanted to share with others in case they face the same issue.

Haven't changed them yet (40K miles).
4th
The shop still has everything. I know very little about reading that type of stuff so I didn't ask for them.
The end of the pull looks similar but I think mine is worse. The feel of the throttle when that line started jumping was very unsettling and wandering into that territory too many times put me in limp mode.

Couple of other notes...

Cold starts are still rough.

I ran the 93 map today at the track. The engine ran smooth except for CEL (see below). Too bad it was rainy all day and going to snow tomorrow at Watkins Glen!

I got a CEL both yesterday (two sessions after the re-flash on 91) and today midday on the 93 map. The message is 118001 mixture control: mixture too lean. When it happened, it did not cause the car to go into limp mode either time.

Thanks for the input everyone. And just to be clear, aside from those few notes above, now that the timing/throttle/whatever issue seems to be resolved from the re-flash, I'm very, very happy with the power. Its not a 'throw you into the back of your seat' type of power, but it accelerates fairly linearly, which is working well for the track. I just need bigger sneakers on her now so I can stop quicker.
Have the hesitations and stuttering come back? I've noticed that after a fresh clear of the adaptations, which happens at every flash, the throttle is good, but with subsequent drives the throttle goes back to the hesitations. Ptf has not responded to my tune request in over 10 days yet they answer burble questions immediately. I'm not happy with their priorities.

edit: my issues with adaptations and hesitations / surging is with low rpm day to day driving. i do not have such issues at WOT (not on track). i have not tracked this car so i wouldn't know that behavior.

Last edited by designatedposter; 05-19-2018 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0