View Single Post
      08-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #69
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Many don't realise the difference in gearing between the 8AT and 6MT.

The 6Mt drives like a NA V8 car in terms of powerband. On track, or around town, you are shifting MUCH less than the 8AT, with the MT.

For example:

In my area, it's mainly single lane roads, and 60km/h in town (max, mostly 50km/h). This is basically a quick 1st gear pull, if anything, around town. 2nd gear in the 6MT goes a bit over 120km/h, so that's impound speeds, already. I can pass anyone on the 80km/h highways in 3rd gear, never have to power into 4th as 3rd easily gets you up to 180km/h, which is over double to average posted speed, so never needed. My point is, is that the 6MT can be much more enjoyable to drive, even if you're doing all of the work. On track, sometimes I only have one section where I get into 4th, so it's 2-3-2-3-2-3-4-3-2-3 lol, barely ever have my two hands off of the wheel, almost never have to shift mid turn (if you have the appropriate right apex speed). After a launch, these cars are basically identical in acceleration. The 8AT shifts faster, especially on the 1-4th vs the MT 1-3, but then the MT 3rd gear always catches up to the 8AT car. Have done this several times with other BMW's, and some newer Audi's like the '19 S4. Pull them every time at the top of 3rd, and into 4th. Once you're up there, auto means F all..

It's very easy to jump into an 8AT and say "wow I could never shift this fast, or blip this good", but that wears off quickly, for me. For a DD, I'm 100% pro torque converter auto, for my 2nd part-time car, I enjoy MT or full dual clutch setup.