View Single Post
      12-09-2019, 04:44 AM   #24
tapgrove
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1

wifi enablement

Hi folks - wish I'd seen this thread earlier as may have saved me some headache and money! :-(
I have a UK X1 with the entrynav2 head unit (6.5" touchscreen) and based on other threads from other forums I went ahead and had it coded with the 143 code for carplay (FSC obtained a legit code from BMW for my WIN), as everything seemed to point at this working fine, and that even without a wifi antenna installed it would work when the phone was in close proximity.
I've now found out though, that as per this thread, I've got a Magneti Marelli EE0002 head unit which has a blanking plate where the wifi connector should be, so the carplay fails to activate / connect :-(

Wondering if anyone knows a way out of this potentially? Is the wifi enabled head unit a totally different variant / mfg part, or is it possible to add wifi to the EE0002 unit in any fashion? I'm not sure whether it's completely missing the wifi circuitry or just the port connector which could be soldered on, since a lot of doc's when searching online do seem to refer to this magneti unit having wifi capability.
Would a swap of headunit to one enabled with wifi (e.g. from a breakers yard), if I could identify which model this had to be, be possible, whilst retaining the 143 FSC code I've now spent out for, or would this need other potentially extensive re-coding, for the car to accept a different head unit, or maybe even need a new 143 code?
I'm not sure what's tied to what, in terms of e.g. Headunit <> VIN <> 143 CP FSC?

Appreciate any info folks may have and any ideas for any way forwards with this...
Thanks
Jonathan
Appreciate 0