03-10-2022, 10:21 PM   #25
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Car is now just under 60k miles.

To recap....

35k miles: turbo blanket went on. On cold nights back then, after some spirited driving (nothing aggressive), I could feel the heat emanating from the area behind the AC unit aka the turbo. Went away post-turbo blanket install.

36k miles: eBay catless downpipe installed. No engine or transmission tune. MPG was more or less the same with a negligible power increase and much louder cold start.

42k miles: Changed all spark plugs (gapped NGKs), transmission fluid & filter (Liqui-Moly Top Tec 1800 ATF). Then flashed stage 2 MHD 91 octane map, along with XHP stage 3.

45k miles: Finally got around to getting the custom oil catch can on. Less than $100 spent.

At some point post-tunes, I would misfire while on WOT on the freeway. It'd typically be in a lower gear, below 50MPH, and after hitting around 3.5k RPMs, acceleration cuts off and stutters, while a loud bang can be heard. Never happens when cruising/driving normally - only when WOT and in a lower gear/MPH. Doesn't happen when say in 7th or 8th gear, rolling start at >70MPH.

Pulled codes - nothing, aside from the CEL/codes because of the catless downpipe. (Contrary to what people say, having a tune doesn't clear it forever. MHD just clears it temporarily, and then it comes back on later.)

Fast forward to now, 60k miles. Replaced all spark plugs again with Champions (gapped), and Eldor ignition coils. Thought that would fix the issue.

Nope. Still misfires when WOT. But again - no error codes, and this time, the car seems to like the gapped Champion plugs and Eldor ignition coils - misfiring under WOT aside, MPG went up to mid 20's (I do 50/50 highway and city street driving).

I did flash to MHD's 95 octane map a few times while having 76's Sunoco 100 octane race fuel in the tank. Slight bump in power but still misfired.

At 60k miles, I'll (hopefully) be getting around to having the Gen 2 B58 TU HPFP installed soon - although from reading around online, it seems like the misfiring could be more indicative of an injector issue. Makes sense if that's the case, since it's hard to believe that pump gas could cause this despite brand new spark plugs and ignition coils. Will diagnose and replace all fuel injectors if needed.

Will update later on but so far, enjoying the low 400s HP to the wheels just fine without LSD on stock staggered wheels and about-to-be-replaced tires. More than enough power as-is for the type of driving that I do. MPG is mid to high 20's. No codes. TU HPFP was meant to be more of a preventive thing rather than allow for ethanol blends (will only ever go up to MHD Stage 2+ 95 map only; no ethanol plans).

Been doing oil changes every 5k miles with Liqui-Moly 0W-20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Any update...anything at all?
I ended up returning them to the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddy1 View Post
Hey, I was wondering if you got the rock guards in? I was looking at doing that and was curious how much work it was. Was it hard to get the mounting brackets on? I bought the guard a while ago but never got around to putting it in. My car is at the dealer for replacement of the small left radiator that was taken out by a piece of glass. They also make a rock guards for both small radiators as well.

Pat
Appreciate 2
jordan24c128.00
dradernh4444.50