View Single Post
      02-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #12
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
yea I have a hard time reconciling why a Fabspeed DP is $500 more than AAWerkes, and a ER Intercooler is $500 more than AAWerkes...guess I need to dig deeper...production seems the same, quality similar...

Why spend $1000 more for Fabspeed DP and ER Intercooler combo ?
Quality, fitment, longevity, and lack of CELs.

With respect to catted DPs, you get what you pay for. The $1,500 Fabspeed (200 cell) and HJS DP (300 cell) catted downpipes use the best catalytic converters on the market. They are the most efficient, longest lasting, and generally free of CELs (HJS is CEL free because of its higher cell count and design).

The AA and others use cheaper cats. If you buy a super cheap catted DP, you can be certain that the cat will be of poor quality (may degrade quickly), will likely not fit right, and will definitely throw a CEL. The $1000-1100 AA catted DP is new to the market and hardly anyone is running them. The verdict is still out on the quality and lack of CELs.

I learned my lesson decades ago when first modding cars. Aftermarket companies have a very hard time matching OEM quality and fitment. I'd say you've got a 20% chance that your aftermarket part will fit exactly like stock and if it does, you've likely paid a premium for it. This especially goes for DPs,, intercoolers, and charge pipes with these cars. By cheap and changes are you'll have quality and fitment issues.

I am entirely happy paying $1500 for my HJS Euro 6 DP knowing that it fit like stock, looks nearly like stock, performs as advertised, and will last as long as the stock DP. I'll be able to recoup more money on resale too because it's highly desired.