View Single Post
      09-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #22
Turbomatic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 335xic, Rav4

Very common attitude in the US. I think its just brittle egos and lack of esteem issues. If you don't do something to feel like you got back at the person you feel like you are somehow weaker and "didn't stand up to that asshole!".

When I casually cruise past someone with my indicator on to get back into their lane I will almost always see them speeding up to not allow me to pass. The other annoying thing is to drive really fast around my car, get in front then slow back down because they realized they are in speeding ticket speed now. All this is because some how mentally the person feels they are "losing" in some way because another car managed to get in front of them. Rediculous thinking but people are always competing with you whether you are or not.

When I was visiting in Asia the driving was far more dangerous but actually less people really screamed like a NYC taxi driver or flipped birds(or equivalent thereof). Sweden drivers were actually very relaxed in comparison to US drivers too when I drove there.

I chalk it up to lack of common etiquette education in general and a proliferation of people with fragile esteem and egocentric minds.
Appreciate 0