View Single Post
      08-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
havinfun
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
I am also struggling with no USB artwork display (2018 M240i). I ripped one CD via itunes. When I copy that album to a thumb drive formatted as FAT32, nothing plays in the car. If I re-format the thumb drive as exFAT and then copy, the album plays correctly but no artwork is displayed. The music folder shows three .jpg files all of which are artwork but in different resolutions. The highest resolution is 200x194. If I delete the System Volume Information directory from the thumb drive, I can see it disappear, but playing the thumb drive still provides no artwork. When I plug the thumb drive back into my computer, a new System Volume Information directory is created for this album as you warned.

Any other suggestions on how to see the artwork??? By the way, I only have the 6" display screen, but I presume that should not prevent artwork from displaying and satelite radio artwork displays perfectly on this screen.
Here is an update. I don't understand the technical rationale behind my solution but it seems to work. First, I downloaded a free copy of Stamp ID3 Tag Editor. I then opened a number of albums that I had ripped years ago with iTunes onto my thumb drive. Stamp ID3 shows the metadata associated with each song in the albums such as song title, artist, and any associated artwork. I discovered that about 2/3's of my thumb drive albums had NO metadata and these albums would NOT show up when I used idrive to search my albums by artist, genre, or album title. HOWEVER, they WOULD show up if I just did a browse search with idrive, and when the album opened, it would play correctly and the artist, album title and song titles would also appear. These album file folders were always missing the artwork .jpg files.

Next, I ripped my CDs using Windows Media Player (instead of iTunes). With the Media Player, ALL by albums had metadata associated with them (per a review via Stamp ID3), and also had 99% of the artwork as .jpg files. However, the artwork was not part of the metadata. Using Stamp ID3, I "stamped" the albums with the artwork .jpg file I selected from the album folder (also adjusted the genre titles to my preference), and SUCCESS! Now all my albums from my thumb drive appear and all have artwork. I cannot explain why iTunes gave inconsistent results, but Windows Media Player and Stamp ID3 worked well together to get all my albums displayed and all with nice artwork.
Appreciate 0