05-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #57
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Hey Wyldstyle, dradernh has the right answer! I snagged a brand new 2018 M240xi convertible fully loaded in exactly the int/ext combo I wanted, brand new for $42k (including tax, registration, doc BS fees, and shipping from VA to MN) in early 2019.

If you can sacrifice the backseat and AWD, take a peek at the Porsche Boxster/Cayman as well!

When I was researching I practically had no budget; I just wanted a versatile, small, AWD convertible with massive modding capability. I intended to buy the new 911 Turbo so needed something in between Nothing comes close to the 2-series. I researched everything from M2C, M4/M4 convertible, Boxsters/Caymans. Even AWD F-Types (but couldn't justify where I would put it; it isn't a track toy and it isn't a Porsche Turbo replacement). Yes, no matter what I tried I was compromising either on AWD or convertible or price. Or in the case of the F-types just getting something which would not fit anywhere.

I hated and loved the RS3, and when I say in the M240i, it just felt so... chill, no fuss fun. Came home, was tooling on autotrader and saw one whit ext and coral int, fully loaded, out in VA. Was marked at its full $60k cute.

Anyway. The two rear seats are a godsend!!

I must say, you will not enjoy the M340xi as much as the 2 series. The M340xi feels HEAVY! You remember how the G37 sedan felt? It feels way heavier than it actually is. That's how the M340xi felt to me.

The M240xi coupe/convertible is the best package, and the best value right now. Especially if this is a daily driver.
This will indeed be my daily driver. That is how I'm feeling - best overall package.

I am excited for the opportunity to downsize into a coupe, which wasn't possible (well, possible - but not palatable) previously because my daughter needed to be in a booster in the back seat (see my post above). I actually drove an M235 several years back when I got one as a loaner when my 335 was in the shop and immediately fell in love with it... It just wasn't a good option then.

Anyhow - I found the M240i vert I drove to be so much fun at any speed. That's probably the most important difference, to me. With my 440, I enjoy it on the on-ramp and that's about it. I know the M340 would be better in all ways than the 440, but it would still be mostly wasted in daily life, and I am not one for going to the track.

And wow do the 2018s move fast on Autotrader. I found one with 9k miles for $33k (non-BMW dealer) - It didn't seem to have CarPlay, so I was working on figuring out whether it had the necessary hardware for it to theoretically be added - when the guy emailed me that it had sold. Less than 24 hours. He commented that "the level of interest in this car has been shocking," and I was like... not shocked here!
Appreciate 0