View Single Post
      05-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #50
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Hi guys - new here. I am shopping for my first 2 series. I have some questions... but to post a new thread I need to post a reply, first, and this seemed the topic where I have the most to contribute since I am in the midst of this process currently!

I have more or less settled on an M240xi coupe at this point, but over the last several weeks I have also driven:

1) 2019/2020 330xi - still a possibility, love the tech and definitely more practical (I have a 10yo), and the 4-cyl is so much better than last gen, but not as much fun as the 2 series.

2) 2020 M340xi - as above, but I would need to find a real bargain in order to justify this splurge to my more budget-minded, Nissan-driving spouse. Wow, that engine... but I love the small size of the 2 series.

3) Genesis G70 3.3T AWD Sport - Really impressed, but the infotainment system sucks, you have to pay an annual, pricey subscription to maintain remote start (app-based and apparently flaky to begin with - although apparently it can be activated via Google Home, which is slick), and Hyundai dealership/service experience...

4) Audi A3 to help me assess the S3 (no S3 locally) - Really impressed by what is Audi's cheapest model (the A3) and even considered it briefly with the budget side of my brain, even more seriously considered purchasing an S3 from out of state, but then drove the A3 again and decided it doesn't like the highway anywhere nearly as much as it likes secondary roads, and my commute is 95% highway...

5) Audi S4 - It left me cold this time. Really surprised me as I drove one ~3 years ago and loved it, VERY nearly bought one (prior model year) off the showroom floor, was in the midst of haggling, getting close, when I literally heard someone walk by and go, "It's sold, get it out of here."

6) Audi A5 Sportback - So beautiful... also left me cold.

7) Audi S5 Sportback - So beautiful... But turbo lag! (Salesman said maybe it wasn't broken in yet?? Maybe??) I also LOVED this car 3 years ago but it was way over budget then... Also left me cold this time around.

I think that's it?? Going a bit crazy on the analysis this time around, because I've decided leasing isn't really for me so I am going to purchase this time. I also want to give myself some flexibility in case I completely fall in love with the i4 when it comes out next year...

I should mention that my current car is a 2018 440xi GC (haven't loved it, looking forward to a replacement), and the one before was a 2014 335i (did love it, would've bought it at lease-end if it weren't so upside down).
Appreciate 0