View Single Post
      03-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

RW Carbon Fiber Lip Install

Hello all, I just installed RW Carbon lip (despite reading about their mirrors, hoping it's just the mirrors that are effected. A lot of the M3\M4 guys really like their CF Lip and have had zero issues from what i have found).

Shipment only took a week. Picked up the item at the local shipment office (due to signature required), luckily it was able to fit in the car with the seats folded down.

It was packaged well enough and wrapped around many times to avoid scratching. It is extremely light, seems to be made out of the real deal, and pre drilled holes! It does not come with instructions or installation equipment, but that's because you use the OEM screws (well except for two read below for more info).

Next it was time to drive up some ramps to check out what i needed to do to install. It was pretty easy to locate the 6 screws you need to take out to install the lip.

(4 in the center [2 in the rear U pockets and two right in front of it]and two on the ends of the front bumper)

*Lip has already been installed in the image below

Next place 3M double sided tape (i ran out, but i would recommend placing all over the area)

Now, the finish on the inside of the lip is rough, i would highly recommend one person under car, and two people on the side to line up the lip to its placement, otherwise you can easily scratch the paint.

Now that the lip is on there, start with the two outside OEM screws, then screw in the OEM screws at the center rear of the lip (the deep end).

You are almost done, however, you will notice that the OEM washers are too large to fit into the final two holes at the front center of the lip. I tried taking the washer off but simply couldn't.

I went to the local store and bought similar sized screws (you want it the SAME length, otherwise the screw will go through the other side of the bumper).

I placed a few smaller washers on the new non-oem screws and you are DONE!

After you have completed the installation, you will want to use a block of wood to clear the ramps as the lip will touch it.

Overall it makes the car look so much more aggressive! I would not recommend a suspension drop with this lip (unless you go with Dinan half an inch spring set up)

The fitment with the hole alignment is spot on, and the upper part into the "vents" about an 8 out of 10. You can see a little blue peaking through, but not enough to bother me.

EDIT: Perhaps the 3M tape is what's stopping the lip from completely closing the gap, but as I stated before, it is only a small line of blue.

BEFORE:

AFTER (Excuse the terrible picture quality, I just finished tonight, will get better pics in the morning. The Carbon Fiber pattern matches my Mirror carbon fiber replacement caps:

EDIT March 10 - Some day time pics (sort of)

Last edited by StarMan; 03-10-2016 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 7
Taunto281.50
RotorOver295.50
deathking134.50