View Single Post
      04-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
EEBreh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "M" 235i

DIY: Manual Transmission Fluid Change

I saw there was a little demand for a DIY for changing the manual transmission fluid in our F22s. It's a pretty easy task in and of itself if you have the right tools. Do this at your own risk, I am not liable for any damages if something occurs because of this DIY.

You will need the following:

8MM socket
10MM socket
8MM Alllen socket
Torque wrench that is calibrated to 45nm
A fluid transfer pump (you can pick one up at your local auto store for ~$10)
~2 Liters of fluid. I used the OEM BMW fluid (MTF-LT-5), PN 83222239654. I ordered it online, you can probably get it from the dealer (15% off with a BMWCCA membership so join!)

1: Get the car on jackstands or a lift

2:Remove the plastic shield (held on by 8mm trim bolts and a 10mm plastic nut)

3: Circled in red is is the fill plug, circled in blue is the drain plug.

4:I blew out each hole with a little brake cleaner and then used an 8MM (edit: some claim 9mm for their car) allen to loosen the fill plug first. The reason for doing this is that you do not want to be SOL if you can't take the fill plug out after you have drained the existing fluid.

5:Loosen the drain plug, and fluid will come out. It is normal for it to smell funny.

6: Once it is fully drained, clean the plug and Torque it to 45NM

7: Remove the fill plug and using a fluid transfer pump, pump in approximately 1.2 liters liters of fluid or until it starts leaking out (about 1.2 liters)

8: If you slightly overfilled it, let the remaining oil drip out. clean and torque the fill plug to 45nm

9: Reinstall shield, take the car off ramps and drive away!

I noticed my car shifted a little better. BMW claims their MT fluid is lifetime...It has been shown that this is kind of BS. I change mine every 30k miles.

I hope this helps you guys out!

Last edited by EEBreh; 07-22-2021 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 4