04-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #17
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Exactly...apps not available for Canadian customers...idrive option shouldn't be made available/visible on the screen if there's no service for it. Blows me away that 2 dealers & BMW Canada couldn't (or wouldn't?) say these features are not available for Canadian customers. Probably the latter...twits
To be fair, the majority of iDrive and ConnectiveDrive does work. Our data plans are through AT&T, from what I have been told by one dealership. AT&T, of course, doesn't operate in Canada. That means we're likely piggy-backing on Rogers, which sucks because Rogers coverage outside major urban areas traditionally leaves much to be desired.

Apparently when we get activated for ConnectedDrive services, we are partly in a Canadian database (so BMW Canada can support us) and partly in a US databse, so we can get the ConnectedDrive services that aren't Canada-aware.

It is possible that the portions of the services we are missing are limited due to gaps in things like:
- Canadian privacy protection (Canadian Privacy Law is stronger than US Privacy Law, and protects us in ways that might prevent non-compliant services from operating without significant risk)
- Bilingual localization with Quebec French (no French support? Can't sell the car in Quebec)

Could be other factors, but I'm pretty confident these two play a role in holding us back.

I haven't spent a lot of time comparison US v CA v DE features, but I find the sites pretty much high-level marketing anyway. The biggest trap we fall into is reading US reviews of things and assuming we get the same.

I do think that BMW Canada needs to make it more clear what the gaps are. I also think that BMW customers need to make it more clear that we expect and require that.

I'm prepared to make that clear.
Appreciate 0