View Single Post
      04-23-2017, 07:48 AM   #16
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
ConnectedDrive activation (incl sat radio)
- this is done by the dealership, they submit the activation and can provide the ConnectedDrive agreements
- the dealership provides you with the credentials you need to activate phone apps, but they cannot be managed like a normally account with password resets online

CarPlay & Phone Integration
- this is done by the owner, perhaps with help from the dealership for those not technically inclined enough

BMW Labs and ConnectedDrive Apps
- we're 2nd class consumers... Canada does not exist in all systems and is treated as part of the USA for basic features (hence the hassles with activation)

That all aside, iDrive works great, and wireless CarPlay is interesting once you've setup your phone in iDrive properly.

I'd really like to play with BMW Labs stuff, such as IFTTT but not sure it'll work in the near future until BMW resolves the issues with ConnectedDrive for Canada.

Anyone who is old enough to afford a BMW should also be old enough to have experienced many cases of Canada being behind in many technologies. Sometimes it is because we lack the population density to attract services. Sometimes it is due to problems with multilingual localization. Sometimes I think it's because we're too nice and don't make enough noise when we get left out.
Exactly...apps not available for Canadian customers...idrive option shouldn't be made available/visible on the screen if there's no service for it. Blows me away that 2 dealers & BMW Canada couldn't (or wouldn't?) say these features are not available for Canadian customers. Probably the latter...twits
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0