View Single Post
      02-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

BimmerTech Front & Rear Camera Review and DIY

Greetings 2ers!

I am a new M235i owner. The car I purchased didn't come with navigation or any of the other multimedia goodies you might find in a loaded M235i. Really, all I wanted was a front and reverse camera and wasn't willing to to shell out the extra two grand BMW was asking for it, but at the same time I didn't want an ugly retrofit kit.

I found an OEM integration kit from a company called BimmerTech and it claimed to offer seamless OEM integration with a bunch of other cool features (Video/Audio input and Output etc). I bought it and installed the unit yesterday. Here is the exact kit I bought:

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...amera-retrofit

The unit is pretty much plug and play but requires A LOT of patience. There are a bunch of components to install and if you want it to look perfect you need to spend some time running the cables nicely and such. To say the least, my hands are killing me from pulling cables through the car.

I am very happy with the results and truly impressed with the quality of the front and reverse cameras, even in low light. The unit does integrate seamlessly and if you don't know the differences between OEM and this kit, you will never know it was not from BMW.

Lastly, the A/V control unit that comes with the kit has all sorts of cool features including multiple video and audio input channels. I plan to purchase a wireless streaming/mirroring device and connect it to this box soon so that I can stream video or Google maps from my iPhone to the OEM screen. BimmerTech will be releasing this product in the near future I am told.

I give the unit a 10/10 for quality, and a 8/10 for ease of installation.

Here are DIY videos I made for you guys. Please excuse my constant cough as I am just getting over a cold:

Let me know if you guys have any questions for install as I didn't record every single step. Some of them were self explanatory and others I left out for sake of time.

Last edited by configt; 02-01-2015 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 6