05-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #27
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
Sorry one more question I meant to ask-

Will running the XHP tune on my tranny make it more resilient to hard driving by increasing torque limits and improving shift points or will this place more burden on the transmission by forcing it to perform harder?

Basically does the tune HELP the tranny long term or HURT the tranny long term?

Not sure if I would be asking too much of it, or preparing it to handle its workload better.
It's my understanding that the 8AT is pretty beefy and not many have failed. Most people that have trouble with their automatics is because the transfer case failed.

Transmissions are rated in torque. A 93 octane Stage 2 flash tuned M235 is making around 380whp/420wtq. That's about 450hp/500tq at the flywheel. These cars are rated at 320hp/330tq, but in reality they closer to 365hp/390tq in stock form (310whp/330wtq stock).

So yes, your car is pushing quite a bit more torque than stock. Heat is the big killer in automatics. I think if you aren't tracking the car or driving it hard all the time and are replacing the tranny fluid every 30k miles, it should be fine.

If your plans are to make big power, 6MTs are the way to go. They can handle a ton more torque. You can't slam shift them with that sort of power because you'll kill the syncros, but they are far better at tolerating big power and why almost all of 600hp+ turbo BMWs out there are 6MTs.