View Single Post
      04-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #172
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Subs are in now too. Pretty good upgrade and I am pleased.

The tweeters being up higher have really raised the imaging with voice coming from the steering wheel vs. down around my lap. I think the custom flush mount of the tweeters was definitely worth my time. I modded the stock non-HK covers with a Dremel and jig saw and got the Focal bezels in nice and tight. I had to dial back the treble in the tone controls about 4 notches because there is a lot of boost in the Hi-Fi amp to compensate for the sorry ass stock "full range" speakers.

I turned the bass down by one notch and shifted the balance to the right 2 and to the rear 2 as well. Will go with that for a while.

I do notice more hiss from the signal now that I have better high frequency capability. I think the stock amp is going to have to be replaced eventually, then things should be very good. I would call the stock system a 2/10, the Focal IFBMW-S components got me to 4/10 and the SWS got me to 5/10. I think an amp with DSP will get me to 7/10.
Then some rear speakers for passengers and a trunk sub would get it really banging.

Shame that it will take more than $2k to equal the stereo in Golf. BMW could do much better here. I mean the HIFI in my X3 is totally adequate as is.
Appreciate 0