View Single Post
      09-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #163
pastuch
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
And they are. Focal's inverted metal dome is one of those 'love it or hate it' things. One thing they definitely aren't is warm.

I've heard both Morels through an equivalent system. The Tempo Ultra has a significantly larger magnet and voice coil, and its woofer cone and frame are more rigid. The result is higher power handling, a wider and flatter response, and more stout mid-bass and low-mids that complement the tweeter well. Particularly if you're going to upgrade the underseat drivers with the SWSs, the Tempo Ultras will work better than the Maximos, which are designed to be more of a 'stand-alone' full-range solution to run off OEM power.
Wow, thanks again Mike. You're a wealth of information. Does that mean I shouldn't use the stock amplification if I get the SWS-8? The amp is a significant cost increase ($550 CAD) and I'm reluctant to do the AMP swap due to my own inexperience.

If I don't bother with replacing the stock under-seat woofers then would the wider frequency range of the JL Audio C2-400x be a better idea than the Tempo Ultra or Hertz ECX?

Last edited by pastuch; 09-18-2018 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0