View Single Post
      10-11-2017, 12:03 AM   #7
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Day 4

Route for Day 4:

In Salzburg we stayed 2 nights at Pension Bloberger Hof. This B&B was highly recommended by many on this forum and didn’t disappoint. This was also the only place on our trip we stayed more than one night, at the exact midpoint of the trip.

The plan for the day was Hohensalzburg Castle and Lake Hallstatt. We drove into town and found a public parking garage with great end spots and a lot of other really nice cars, so I wasn’t concerned at all about leaving my car there. Anyone planning to drive into Salzburg on their ED shouldn’t worry a bit about parking in the city, it was very simple and safe. The parking garage I used was here.

After the castle, we drove towards Lake Hallstatt which is a popular ED destination. The drive to/from Hallstatt was amazing. Everyone talks about the autobahn and going fast, but the Austrian backroads for me were the driving highlight of the trip. Hallstatt itself was pretty underwhelming to be honest, super touristy and crowded. One odd thing that freaked me out at first but ended up making sense was that the parking lot entry system knew exactly how many cars were in the lot at all times. This meant that when the lot was full (as it was when I drove up), the entry gate would not open until a car comes out the exit gate. So we ended up waiting at the entry gate for about 10-12 minutes (after freaking out and pressing the help button to no avail).

We walked into Hallstatt to take some pictures and get lunch on the water. As touristy as the place was, I was really surprised to find a restaurant on the water for under 10 euros per person. If you’re like us and get bored quickly of super touristy places, you might want to skip Hallstatt and just drive to/from it instead. On the way back to Salzburg we followed the guidance of someone on the forums who had recommended two specific “made-for-M-cars” roads around some lakes north of Hallstatt. The second lake we came upon was gorgeous, we saw tons of locals walking across the road with picnic gear and beach toys. We even saw a family with a butler who was carrying all their gear for them! Needless to say, we figured it was a wealthy area.

Back in Salzburg, we headed to the same parking garage we used in the morning and headed into town for dinner and drinks. The downtown area was really picking up at this time and the ambiance was wonderful. I highly recommend taking one night and walking around the main Salzburg area and sampling the various outdoor bars and cafes.

Last edited by keylime503; 10-11-2017 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00