View Single Post
      01-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
You can fit 17 or 18 x 9 wheels with 40 series or 35 series tires, respectively. 17's with 255/40/17 is the cheaper and lighter tire/setup which is why it's the go-to over 18's. You need ET38 or lower to avoid rubbing on the strut which is why all those people with ET42 or ET45 wheels have small spacers. You will also need 2.0*+ of camber and a fender roll. It fits, but it takes a little work.

Some people claim to not need the fender roll. I think ride height plays a factor in this...

The reason why ET45 is a popular offset is because you need a higher offset in the rear. 17x9 ET45 might rub on the outside fender a bit. Again, ride height and camber dependent. If you want to keep rear camber in check at like 1.5-2.0* you might need to roll the rear fenders to fit a meaty 255. Or, run a higher offset wheel in the rear. Problem with running a high offset in the rear is that the track width difference starts to impact handling characteristics and you end up with a drift car setup lol
So I have a set of square Apex Arc-8s
17x9 ET 30 shod with Bridgestone Potenza S04s 255x40-17 left over from my 2008 E90. I'd love it if I could fit these wheel to my new '19 M240i xdrive. Stock wheels definitely undertired for this car and would be relegated to winter snows. Will the et 30 offset be an issue? Will it fit calculators show reasonable strut clearance with some poke, which I could live with if it doesn't look too ridiculous. The Bridgestones are also at the end of their life, so new tires are also a consideration in the calculation. Any one running a similar setup? Mods, ie fender roll, camber plates necessary for it to work? I will probably just try them on in the spring to check any way, unless the consensus is that this definitely won't work. BTW I'm partial to a meatier fitment rather than worrying about fender gap. Thanks.