View Single Post
      12-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #16
2adtkrak
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Wowzers! How'd you manage that? My front rotors/pads were replaced under the factory maintenance at 38k! I'm at 41k now and my rears still have a good 10k at least.
My experience is similar to Davis 12345. Simple answer from me - engine braking with less brake use. My 1st E36 3 series sedan, daily driver - bought it new, manual transmission, sold it after 160K miles. Only had to do scheduled maintenance and replacing regular wear & tear parts. However, with brakes, replaced the rotors just once during the entire 160K miles that I put on. This car had a brake indicator. It came on just once. Inspected the brakes at every major service maintenance work.

My driving style is aggressive. My typical driving - fast acceleration, very late braking with downshifts & fast cornering (utilize all the grip my tires would provide). I replace my performance all season tires about every 25K miles. Mixed city & freeway driving. Every now & then used to take the car for high speed tracking as well as Autocross.

When I sold this car at 160K miles, it had the original clutch, suspension and most other major parts.

My 2nd BMW, E46 3 series sedan w manual transmission, bought BMW CPO with 38K miles. Currently at 128K with the same mixed city/freeway miles. Same aggressive driving style. Same original brakes the car had when I bought it. Still drives the same way that it did when I bought it.

A very happy camper. Thinking of replacing this car with BMW CPO M235i.
Appreciate 0