Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Don't believe your own hype.

The Honda ACCORD is a pudgy soft whale and yet Honda still makes light simple fun cars like the Fit.

Every manufacturer is making cars lighter, and also moving towards turbocharging , including BMW.

The e82 1 series is the first step for bmw badged models and more models coming in the 2er lineup because the 3 series simply moved up market like the Accord.

The f20 135 in Europe is a roaring success and no doubt the 235 and M2 will be here as well.

The "BMW lost their way" complaint lost its legs about 2 years ago when the 1M came out. They are expanding and bringing out more models with a greater variety than ever and the small sedan segment is ripe for a light and nimble 2 series sedan.

In addition, We have already seen rumors of a possible z2....
Haha, Z2. That's only been a rumor since the first Z4 came out. But I don't totally disagree with you, the 1M was a great car, but they built, what 5k worldwide? While they pump out tons of soft F30's, F10's and SUV's. The fact is that they used to sell great cars in volume, now you have to really search for them and many are limited runs.

This certainly helps create demand for the good cars, but after selling my previous M Coupe, I haven't found a BMW that seems like a good replacement. My wife's 135i was meant to be replaced by an F30, but it was a disappointing drive and she ended up with an X1 instead.

There was a time that a 3er, really any version, was a safe choice to be the best car to drive in the class. Now Cadillac (?!) makes that car and Audi and MB are certainly either closer or ahead of BMW in the fun to drive category.

I think there's huge opportunity for a 2er sedan / grand coupe to make a big impact and restore some of the uncomplicated, direct driving fun that many of us grew up enjoying about BMW. Frankly, I look forward to it.

As an aside, Honda largely fixed the Accord with the current generation, and it sells better, even though it's not as cushy or heavy. Let's hope the entire round of future BMW's goes this direction, not the continuation of diluting the main product while offering a few gems.
Appreciate 0