View Single Post
      07-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #633
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
If BMW takes this platform Electric it can be RWD or AWD.
RWD FAAR EVs can happen in principle, but I still think it is unlikely. The platform supports AWD, so obviously you can put power through the rear wheels, but the chassis was not designed with RWD-first applications in mind. If you look at the way rear suspension is engineered for a small RWD-first vehicle architecture and compare it to the rear suspension of a small FWD-first architecture, the former typically has a stiffer subframe, more stout control arms, beefier half shafts, etc.

It can all be retrofitted to FAAR at a cost, yes, but I am not so sure it makes sense given that this platform's useful life is probably only til the end of next decade. It won't be used for the next generation of MINI vehicles set to arrive starting in 2023, and it is quite possible that the next generation X1 and X2 (which will be fine with FWD/AWD electric drive) and next generation 1 Series Sedan will be the last BMW FAAR products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
EV's with all the low end torque makes sense to be RWD.
EVs built on legacy platforms are most cost effective when they drive the same wheels as their ICE or PHEV counterparts.

EVs built on dedicated electric platforms should be RWD-first or the manufacturer has really blown it, badly. You don't introduce cross-talk between the drive system and steering system if you don't have to, and with an EV, you definitely don't have to because you can package the motor at the rear of the vehicle very cheaply (unlike with an ICE).

Quote:
I hope this doesn't mean the next 2 Series Coupe will be FWD as well.
Did you forget about this thread that you posted in just a few days ago?

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1630541
Appreciate 0