View Single Post
      05-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #69
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Furthermore, Kantalias (if I may; selmeralto and I had this convo before), the Etons -- or any component pair, up to a certain point -- are a waste of money as used in the 2 Series rear setup. You gain no soundstage advantage with the separate tweeter like you would in a door-mount setup, and rear speakers just aren't nearly as critical to a system as many would have you believe.

That the JL Audios are brighter may be as much of a function of how the tweeters are inherently aimed -- they reflect off of the rear glass, which would keep the soundwaves crisp acoustically -- as any difference in responsiveness. A component set would function exactly the same unless the tweeters are custom mounted in a location other than the blank cutout underneath the rear grilles. Also, because the rears are almost always dialed down in the fader control compared to the fronts, the relative response in the lower registers will naturally be more subdued (i.e., less power and SPL) compared to the higher registers; this contributes to the brighter feel of the rears.
Thanks, Viffermike. But I want to follow up one thing. It is possible that the JLs just are brighter than the Etons, in the sense that if we controlled for location (e.g., putting them both in the rear deck) and neither tweeter being aimable, the JLs would sound brighter. If that's the case, then the JLs would be the speaker of choice for a couple of reasons: first, they're brighter (assuming this is a good thing in the car) and second, we're not sure that the Etons will fit exactly in the back. And of course the JLs are cheaper. I say this just as a suggestion to readers who are considering their options.

Last edited by selmeralto; 12-13-2016 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0