View Single Post
      09-24-2016, 04:44 PM   #17
lajollabeach
United_States
Rep
Drives: a bit faster than I should

Quote:
Originally Posted by PChem View Post
Currently own a 2004 6MT ZHP convertible and using iPhone app sound meter am getting around 78 dB at 70 mph with the top down. The iPhone is in a holder at the center A/C vent and could be under-reporting the dB versus the noise level at my ears. The noise climbs into the low 80 dBs at 75 mph. As 75 mph is the norm for Interstates, am concerned about my ears when enjoying life with the top down. http://www.healthyhearing.com/conten...s-hearing-loss

For those of you who previously owned E46 convertibles and now own 2-Series convertibles (and have good, unbiased memories), is the 2-Series about the same top down noise or improved?
These comments relate to wind noise and turbulence, not road/traffic noise. I had an e46 convertible and now I have a 228. With the top down and no wind deflector, the 228 is quieter. Using the wind deflector the e46 was quieter.

With the e46, flipping the wind deflector up made a huge difference in sound level and especially air movement. 228 flipping the deflector up makes a noticeable difference but not night and day like the e46. With the deflectors down the 228 is quieter and calmer than the e46. However with deflectors up the e46 was quieter. Not hard to understand why: the e46 defector was much bigger - both width and height. I have not had the e46 for about 12 years. But I just sold my e36 and those same differences are noticeable. I think the e46 was a bit noisier with screen up than the e36.

BTW I have tried a number of noise measurement apps on my Android and find a lot of variation in the reported db levels.

previous e36, e46, e36, 228i

Last edited by lajollabeach; 09-24-2016 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0