Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
And your point? You do realize technology and standards changes over time no? You are referencing an era where consumer electric cars weren't even invented and now we have electric cars that can go 0-60 in under 2 seconds. You people point to heritage as if its something that is defined in one moment of time and then is static. Heritage evolves in the same way technology does.
What a load of non-sequitur nonsense.

BMW could have chosen not to make an M SUV. Instead they did make it and from then on lost any right to the higher ground. The M badge stands for money and marketing. I don't blame them, but they can't have it both ways.
You are just confused is all. You said that BMW had said for years that a "real" M car was a manual RWD car and now they have deviated from that to chase profits. While to some degree that's probably true, the point is that things change. The fact is that automatic transmissions now shift faster than a human ever could. The fact is that the technology now (as opposed to years ago) allows for creating high performing AWD SUVs. To my point on heritage and therefore what constitutes a "real" M car - that changes with time. You are stuck in the past buddy it's simple as that. Who cares whether BMW said that a real M car was RWD and manual YEARS ago? Times change. Get with it or get left behind. As I said before, the street consumer M division is not about professional Motorsports racing, so a "real" M can really be whatever the division chooses. Ultimately, a real M is just one that outperforms their relevant competition.
Appreciate 0