05-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #19
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc228 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I think that we are in agreement about the engine, and the term "misfit" was used purposefully in reference to it being the same engine but cast aside by DINAN. I have the stage 1, but being told engine management upgrades beyond that are off limits due to the added features mentioned above.

The real question is "how do I add Dinan stage 3 for an N20 to this N26?"

Thanks again
Mac
Dinan did not "cast aside" any engine. They are committed to making products that are emissions-legal in all states; that is their business plan and that is why it is not cost-effective for them to be developing products for low-production SULEV engines that have to conform to stricter emissions regulations in a handful of states.

Look, you bought a car that you obviously wanted to tune very aggressively but you ended up with an N26 engine unsuitable for the most radical modifications because you didn't do your homework. Some might call that monumentally foolish. Now you complain that Dinan has somehow let you down. Grow up. If your N26 cannot be made fast enough for you (and lord knows why you want to flog that small engine within an inch of its life with a Stage 3 tune and a big turbo if it's not a dedicated track car) then cut your losses, sell your "misfit" car and get something that will make you happy. Or find an iffy back-street tuner who will jury-rig your N26 with a tune that was not designed for it and see if that makes you happy (it won't). Or you could jeopardize your warranty by using non BMW-approved aftermarket parts. But stop whining! The N26 in the 228i is a good engine and there are plenty of -- legal and illegal -- tuning options for it. It is not Dinan's fault that you bought the wrong car.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0