View Single Post
      03-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #1
surge98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW m240i

Buy a 2020 now, or wait for the 2021 model year?

My 2010 128i just hit 100,000 miles, and I've been thinking about replacing it with either a 230i or m240i at some point before the redesign and move to Mexico. I don't want to buy the first year of a new model, and as much as I love my 128i, it's likely to require some expensive maintenance or repairs if I hold on to it for another several years. I would also like to buy another manual, since I keep my cars for a long time and the manual transmission will almost certainly not exist by the time I buy my next car.

I suspect there will be some good deals available over the next six months as auto makers are forced to operate in a steep, but hopefully short-lived recession. Even manufacturers like BMW with a more affluent customer base will be hit, as many buyers have seen 401k's and stock portfolios drop by 30% in a matter of weeks.

I haven't shopped for a car in over ten years, is there any benefit in buying a 2020 model next month compared to buying a 2021 later in the year? Are we expecting the 2 series to remain largely unchanged going into its final year of German production? Is there any chance of them dropping the manual transmission before the redesign? I'm guessing they won't be in a position to raise prices for the 2021 models, but I can only speculate at this point. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
jefe2000752.50