View Single Post
      08-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #10
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
Better to me equals the best traction (dry/wet grip, stopping). But at the same time I'm not going to run Cup2 tires nor would I run an all-season or winter tire.
Since you said you don't want to do cup2, I'm going to skip the ultra max high performance summer. These typically have a crappy ride, are noisy, they tramline, and are basically a track tire that are still street legal. Grippy as all get out, but not really useful for 95% of driving.

Sticking to the highest performance level of all season that's available and a slightly lower performance summer tire leaves you with lots of choices because their traction levels are similar now.

Newer generation all seasons outperform older generation summers so that has turned into a distinction without difference. For example the Michelin Pilot A/S is supposed to be excellent. Although it should be as it's practically twice the cost of its competitors. see:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=241
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=223
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=235

I know lots of people (just googling the bimmer post forums for the M3 sections and general E90 sections) recommend the conti DWS but they have lighter steering feel compared to the michelin's in the same category. To some that is a perk as it makes the car easier when cruising (whereas the michelin's have a harder ride) so makes more sense for most people wanting a very high quality tire that works in temps under 70 degrees. Of course that soft feel means the tire falls all over itself in hard driving and is not recommended for track use. If you get the non all season version of this tire its a solid solid choice (below).

Lots of others have success with the BF Goodrich comp2 as it also outperforms many A/S in that category and performs higher than the DWS.
The Kumho Ecsta is supposed to perform very similarly to the Michelin but not last nearly as long. Of course it doesn't cost nearly as much.
I haven't driven the Nitto NT555 but they also are supposed to be up there like the Michelin's when new, but when they wear not so much and their wet traction isn't supposed to be as great. Probably why its a summer tire...
General Gmax - what I personally have, more traction than I know what to do with and amazing in the wet. Feel from the wheel is better too, but louder than an A/S or touring tire which is not what I wanted, but it's a high performance summer and noise isn't their priority. It doesn't work at all in cold weather, snow or not, but that's not something that happens here. I wanted a european tire brand for a european car. Sounds silly but it made sense to me (general is continental's budget brand)
Toyo Proxes - solid competitor to the conti DWS
Hankook Ventus Evo2 - these are the secret sauce for many people. You don't get brand whore street cred like you would with Michelin's but they are amazing for what they cost. Not much wet traction relatively speaking. Outgunned by many but those all cost much more.
Continental Extreme contact - higher performing than the Hankook with a higher price naturally. These are probably a good starting place for you when avoiding RFT and not going to Michelin.
Pirelli P zero - quiet but wear fast and wet traction not as good as others. (seeing a commonality here?)
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 - the only tire really worth mentioning in the line. It's amazing, and a step under the continental extremes. The other Potenza's aren't really street friendly as they are cup2 territory.
Yokohama - I wanted the Avid GT as it's supposed to have hands down amazing wet traction but it was a very expensive tire. It's focused more on luxury than absolute max so instead you would look at the Advan in that category, but the BF Goodrich outperforms it.
Dunlop has the Signature but it's an older design.
Did I miss any?

If you're in a place with crappy roads (either poor surface materials, or sand/dirt/wet leaves), then you'll still get the traction control to trigger when you drive aggressively. Better tires won't help there.

If you live in the sunbelt states you could get away with a summer tire, I live in the tropics so dry traction is pointless to focus on, it's only wet traction that matters.

It doesn't sound like this car is a daily driver. So you can stick to the staggered setup if you like the feel of it. I can't comment on width because I'm a fan of a square setup with tires that aren't too wide to keep the car playful - just offset them a bit for appearance if need be. Wider tires change the feel removing some 'lithe' ness to the setup. But if that hunkered/heavy feel is for you go for it.

From what I saw, high performance tires really are so close in capability that its more important to focus on noise and comfort as there really aren't any opportunities on the street to take advantage the on-paper traction benefits. Assuming you spend a lot of time in the car of course. If cost is no object go for the gold, but I don't think there's value in that and would rather get 90% of the benefits for 50% of the cost.

Seth
Appreciate 0