View Single Post
      07-14-2022, 03:25 AM   #402
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Same on normal roads: imagine a car approaching on the other side partially on your lane or, even worse, with all four wheels on your lane. Crash. Other driver claiming that "it's OK because at least 1 wheel was still touching a fraction of the middle line". We all agree that that would be an absurd excuse. The white line is an imaginary wall.

OK, no oncoming traffic on race circuits. But the point is, if you need to negotiate a corner, you must adapt your speed to stay on track - it ain't an option, it's mandatory. Same on a mountain pass: mismanage self-restraint and/or miscalculate speed in a turn and you either end up against the mountain wall or go airborne. It's as simple as that. Same with a pilot performing a looping at low altitude: miscalculate height and speed, and you'll hit the ground. No escape possible, except for pulling the ejection handle.

The weight of the F1 car is no excuse. F1 drivers are supposed to know the dynamics of their cars - it's their job. The thing is, F1 drivers deliberately violate track limits to gain a speed advantage. It's cheating by expanding the ideal race line. If all other drivers respect the track limits, a violator will gain an advantage by using more space when negotiating a turn: higher speed on turn-in, higher speed going through the turn and accelerating quicker on turn-out. And using a fraction less brakes. It's unfair.

The thing is, there is the common reasoning: "Hey, if he gets away with it, then I'll do it too."

This habit of track limit violations must stop. Plain and simple: a track is a track and its limits are limits. If a driver fails to adapt his speed in negotiating a turn for no justifiable reason, strip him of that speed gain advantage by imposing a penalty. That will make him think twice next time around.

Attachment 2929781

A gravel trap right next to the curbs, and you won't see this kind of abuse again (Bahrain Grand Prix of March 28, 2021 - Race win and no penalty):
i agree with "Hey, if he gets away with it, then I'll do it too." part.. cause no one d like to leave anything on the table..

but i cant agree with you on normal roads lines and track.. racing on track is totally a different psychology than staying between lines in normal traffic.. its like comparing apple and orange.. yes they re both fruits but they re different in lots of ways..