05-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #118
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
So I am reviving this old thread in light of this most recent thread http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1501371 to give those who previously contributed an opportunity to provide update(s) and to ask a question or two of the group. I hate to say I too have had this happen to me about 5 or 6 times in the 18 months / 24K miles I have had my M235i. I am more careful now to avoid this but my concern is should I be very worried about this? Have I caused any damage? Should I pay to have my gearbox oil/fluid changed sooner than later? Other than these very few instances in which I have shifted quickly and heard the brief grind (generally at 4-5K rpm) my shifts have been and are butter smooth. I plan to keep my car for at least 6 years / 100K miles and once I sell it and move onto my next vehicle, I'd like to deliver a still solid car to the new owner. Thoughts or comments please?
Let me update this thread as well. My car is 2016 year, about 40,000 km now. The second gear grinds and pops out of itself on daily basis. Usually from a downshift. This problem got worse and worse from 20,000 km on wards.
It started with just a grind from first to second gear change on high RPM, now it would also pop out of gear from a high RPM downshift.

I would downshift to second gear from higher gear with a rev match to 4-5k RPM, it would stay in gear for few seconds, the gear lever would then make a slight pop sound and pop out partially out of gear. Making a very loud grinding noise, requiring to clutch in and shift again into second gear for a firmer gear switch.

I hope it breaks completely soon so I can get a new transmission. I lost all faith in BMW manual transmission
Appreciate 0