View Single Post
      05-19-2022, 12:28 AM   #226
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
IMHO, the grid, power lines and that whole set system is an old concept. Beefing it up is a temporary fix and just a band-aide at best. I'm not exactly for the "green new wave," but for innovation to take place, we gotta get out of the comfort zone and get to an almost "oh sh*t" moment for anything to take place. I believe if they didn't set the dates to phase out ICE, we'd get nowhere. For FORD to invest billions of dollars into battery tech to meet the deadline is huge, and they won't be going back. That being said we need to re-think energy distribution completely. Naturally as humans we have to evolve and solve problems otherwise we are just going backwards, and no better place to do this than the USA, where we lead the world. The grid is an old thing.. it makes sense that every house/property in the future will become a private energy station. We have solar panels that are very advanced in space, they are just very expensive, but that will get solved eventually. Imagine in the future, a neighborhood where roofs are solar panels, driveways are solar panels, the mailbox is a solar panel, the little LED lights along the path to the front door have advanced solar panels, the back-up generators are now advanced battery packs, you park your EV in your garage and it will wirelessly charge. Who needs the grid then? Every high rise will have the same, every parking garage, every junkyard with wasted soil become a solar farm...

All this doesn't make sense when you think old... "but what about the grid!!!"
And "the grid" is constantly being updated. It's not a static thing. Just being able to supply electricity to run air conditioning in the middle of the day, the grid has to be constantly updated and expanded to do so. Charging EVs when it is under-utilized is beneficial and wastes less. Addressing the above comment, the more load on those generators, the better. Gas turbine engines like to run, run them as fast as they can. They are relatively cheap to install and very scale-able to the demand.