View Single Post
      04-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #27
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
Next is testing the sound. I have the HK system with no other mods. So just replaced the rear decks. As expected these speakers have a lower sensitivity when compared to the HK speakers up front, thus I needed to shift the fader to the rear to about the 65-70% range. Then main system volume will naturally need to be about 25% higher than you're used to get same volume level.

The sounds is substantially better. Simply put the soundstage appears to be around the front of your face rather than the front dashboard. The sounds is much more full particularly in the midrange and if I move the fader 100% to the back and turn volume 70% there's actually some base punch to be felt/heard whereas the HK were always garbage and tiny sounding. I can see how matching this with changing the fronts too would be a good combo, but I'd think the center would need to be changed or disconnected too if you went that route, maybe I'm wrong, but low sensitivity door speakers and high sensitivity center I'd think the center/worst speaker would be the dominating force up front in that setup.

All in all, a solid improvement for about $100. Side note, the HK speakers weigh next to nothing and appear to be complete garbage.
My settings are pretty close to yours, except that I've boosted the treble with the new installation. The stock HK tweeters were really over the top so I had to turn them way down when I was running the stock HK system. If you replace your fronts you may find that you'll want to increase the treble to taste.

Current settings:

Treble: one notch below full.
Bass: flat or one notch below flat.
Balance: centered or one notch toward passenger side.
Fader: two notches toward back.

I have a few tunes that are *really* bass-enhanced. I cut back the bass setting for these.

And, as you say, I'm running the volume a little higher than I did with the original HK system. But even at very loud levels I don't have any sense that the system is under stress. No distortion that I can hear.
(Revised settings in Post 140, below.)

Regarding the Underseat Woofers

Still trying to decide whether to go for replacement woofers. The Bavsound Ghost set is currently $497 - which is more than my entire system transformations to date. Eton offers a woofer (B195 NEO) that comes in at about $500 for the pair. Right now I find it hard to believe that I'd have enough improvement to warrant the cost. The bass is pretty solid right now.

I'd be interested in hearing from other HK folks about the effects of replacing the woofers. I did read somewhere that at least one forum member (Zooks527?) thought the difference at least for the Bavsound Ghost wasn't huge.

There have also been suggestions that the HK amp just doesn't have the juice to drive a more power-hungry woofer and that putting in a better woofer might actually result in damage to the amp and/or the woofer.

(Update: I was wrong: it was Cloud IX who raised my suspicions about whether changing out the woofers is worth it. The discussion is at http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209949 . Also Viffermike at http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...php?p=19725706 ).

So as I write this note the jury is still out on the matter of woofer replacement.

My initial goal was to improve the sound while keeping the costs minimal. I think I'll hold off until I hear from more people that changing the HK sub in fact makes a significant difference.)

(But see now posts 159 & 160, below.)

Last edited by selmeralto; 08-13-2016 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0