fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

More Questions The Merrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Wow, nice write up. Couple of questions. How much did this setup cost? Did you have to code anything to get the camera to come on when you put the car in reverse?
The AV Box was $270. There are others that cost less, about $200 on alibaba or ebay, or amazon.

I paid an extra premium on this box to experiment with the HDMI direct digital interface since the ordinary way to display the smartphone to the display is to use an HDMI to composite video signal converter.

I am not a fan of down converting HD signals into composite video to display my smartphone. Unfortunately, so far this has been unsuccessful.

The $200 or less AV/units to the same thing but a little differently. They don't have a direct digital HDMI interface for smartphone mirroring and use a separate remote for switching video input except for the reverse camera that is triggered from the CANBUS. They also are not integrated into the idrive controller. These things may or may not be important to you.

No coding is required as the system taps into CAN BUS signals. It's like a wire tap, listening to the normal flow of data. When it reads reverse, it initiates video switching to display the rear view camera.

As a proverbial man in the middle, the AV box can also send commands directly through canbus from the idrive controller to switch video modes or to adjust options.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0