United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
I'm surprised how many people on here have never seen/heard about building with shipping containers! Maybe since I'm a millennial and my generation is part of the "waiting longer to start a family and buying your first home because of student debt" movement lol, but I stumbled upon shipping container homes for their relatively low cost compared to traditional builds and the modern/contemporary aesthetics of them.

The shipping containers themselves come in various lengths and heights and once you start moving them around like legos, putting in windows/walls, incorporating other material with the containers, paint, etc. you'll be shocked how similar they can look to a regular home (on the inside and outside). Obviously, you can keep them looking exactly as a shipping container (raw and rusted) or you can incorporate it into your more contemporary design and use them as elements which is how most of the photos show them that the OP posted.

Another great thing about them is that they are quite energy efficient and strong once a foundation is poured and price per sq/feet wise, you can't beat it. What's more, your average shipping container home can be completed in less than 4 weeks.

I've actually kept a note in my phone for the last 18 months that I update every so often detailing what I'd want in my shipping container loft. There are quite a few blogs/websites out there that have great content. YouTube is also a great place to find them as they can sometimes be mixed in with tiny homes even though they aren't tiny lol.

Good luck with your endeavor! I wish you nothing but the best. I think it's a great idea and coming from someone like myself, I think you'll get a lot of interest.

I have seen some shipping container builds for commercial use around here, and a few one off home builds using containers online. I have yet to see larger housing projects/developments use them though, so that's what I find highly intriguing about this project.