View Single Post
      08-12-2022, 10:52 AM   #19
LuckyMike
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240, X3 M40i, 320ix, X5 35d

The reason I call it a design flaw is because I believe that to be true. My justification for this position is numerous complaints of having serious issues after idling B58 motors for extended periods. Idling the vehicle is within its standard operating profile and should not cause failures. The most common complaint is PCV valve failure which results in a horrific amount of smoke from the exhaust. While you can easily replace the PCV valve, replacement does not correct the untold damage caused to the internals of the motor and turbo. A less common, but still significant number of complaints are for turbo failure after idling. This was the case for me and it went unnoticed because I happened to be cruising and was unaware the turbo had malfunctioned until it was too late. No check engine light, no indication of the problem that resulted in total destruction of my motor, which apparently can not be consistently successfully rebuilt and must be replaced. As an aerospace engineer I understand how to design complicated systems, and the system must be designed for the entire operational envelope, even idle, even for extended periods.
Appreciate 0