BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
My friend who knows about my valve cover / PCV failure sent me a video that I suppose looks like ANOTHER valve cover failure from a random M240i owner. Here are a couple screen grabs.
The first thing that always occurs to me is we shouldn't be buying BMWs thinking they're reliable in the way that Japanese cars are.

Since the mid-1970s, I've owned Japanese and BMW cars exclusively, and always simultaneously. The BMWs have always needed to be owned with the understanding that they will have more problems and that those problems will cost significantly more than if they'd occurred in a Japanese car.

Mind you, the Japanese cars typically don't have any problems, making the difference even more stark. Still, it's always cooler to be driving a BMW. That's just the way it is.

So, and as has been the question for decades now: what do BMW owners get out of owning a car with the Roundel on the hood, beyond driving the cooler car?

My argument has always been this: better inherent handling, especially if it's augmented with aftermarket parts. My car has those significantly expensive parts. When I'm not going to be taking advantage of them, I drive the wife's Mazda 3. Go figure, right.
No offense intended, but this feels like an excuse.

Why can Toyota make the 2UR-GSE V8 with 475 HP, 395 lb ft of torque reliably, but BMW still can't make an I6 for their mid-level cars without a significant (20, maybe even 30) amount of people reporting serious issues within 5 years of ownership?

This is also even AFTER teaming up with Toyota and still not being willing to put the extra cost into parts that last.