Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
I have a 228i and ordered a Quaife LSD. I'm having trouble finding a shop capable of installing it in my country though, because the open diff in our cars has a welded crown wheel that has to be machined out for the conversion.

The MP one at least is just a simple swap, something worth considering also.

Quaife however is a install and forget, doesn't require maintenance and should last for ever.
Wavetrac is similar, with the additional benefit of certain technology that allows for power delivery to the wheel with traction when one wheel is off the ground. It's hard to explain, do your own research if you're curious. The crown wheel issue can be a nightmare if you don't have anywhere to go, but having a full diff commissioned and built for you can work around this issue. My Wavetrac came from Diffsonline as a full pumpkin, though unfortunately prices have gone up significantly through the pandemic. My change to a 3.46 ratio from the standard 3.08 certainly didn't help, but I figured I may as well change the ratio now if it's so hard to do it in the future anyways.
Appreciate 0