05-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #83
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
I totally disagree with your assessment that "Daniel drove into the back of Max"

In reality, it was Max who foolishly positioned himself in front of a faster car leaving it nowhere to go but into the back of him.

People have short memories. Where did the "2 move" rule come from?

It came about as a direct consequence to Max's immature F1 racing a few seasons ago. The 2-move rule is the Max rule.

I like watching Max race. A lot. Right up until the point where he loses his cool and goes native. If the rules cannot curb his over-exuberant enthusiasm I am deeply afraid that in future it might cost another driver his life.

Yours Aye

Mark H
Max made one VERY small move to the right and then a more purposeful move to the inside to protect the inside line. Was it two moves? FIA thinks it was two small moves - not a dramatic blocking move as we've seen in the past. If it was, then they would have put all the blame solely on him.
Yes I definitely remember the two move rule and Vettel did it last year a couple of times.

My assessment of Daniel losing downforce was correct according to Ross Brawn. This is the reason they're trying to change the aero package for next year. If they had the new package or an aero similar to Indy car, Daniel would have been able to get full braking or had grip to move to the outside again. That was the main point I was trying to make.

Brawn's assessment:
"But I would like to highlight a technical point. Once Daniel had settled for his line, and Max had changed direction blocking that line, the Australian became a passenger.

"The downforce loss experienced by Ricciardo in the wake of Verstappen's car would have made it unstoppable.

"We often think of downforce in cornering, but the impact the extra grip has in braking is huge.
"Take away that grip in braking and what happened on Sunday was inevitable."

Brawn said the incident was timely, as it highlighted the aerodynamic problems his team is trying to tackle with changes for 2021, but also the measures pushed through for next year by the F1 Commission this week.

"While this was a very severe example, it did highlight once more the need of finding a way to develop the rules to make the cars more raceable in these conditions," he said.

"The decision of the Strategy Group and the F1 Commission, sanctioned by the FIA World Motorsport Council, to approve a number of aerodynamic modifications, aimed at promoting closer racing and more overtaking for the 2019 season is definitely an important step.

"It's also important to note that the decision has been taken after an intense period of research into the FIA's proposals, which were made with the support of Formula 1 and conducted by a majority of the teams.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-in-baku-clash
Appreciate 0